Friday, October 24, 2008

Why orgcom practitioners are important?

Before I went to college, I don't really know what Orgcom is. I don't even know there is such a thing as an Orgcom practitioner. Orgcom for me is just another course I have to take to compliment my course in Finance. But now I learn to appreciate Orgcom. I can easily say, that everywhere you go, any organization needs an Orgcom Practitioner.

Communication is vital in every organization, as a practitioner, its your task to maintain the smooth flow of messages within. Giving the right messages to the correct people internally, building an image and idea about the company externally. You are tasked to handle different issues and how to address them to your publics. As a practitioner you are equipt to handle all these, we are given theories to help us handle issues, but we are also immerse to the practical side and application of these theories. We know how to handle different media, from writing, verbal skills, photography, websites, videos, etc... that we use in dealing with these.

Orgcom is important because it is very practical. Many people will not recognize it as an Orgcom, but as a practitioner you will easily say that is part of Orgcom. When I'm in my commerce class, I can't help but smile and say.. Oh I learned that in Orgcom. Example, in Busorga classes or Business Strategy and Policy class, they will teach you regarding mision vision statements, organizational structure, information management system, organizational culture, etc... what people fail to recognized is that those are part of an orgcom practitioners job. Those things are important in every organization.

I'll give my brother as an example of an Orgcom practitioner. He is an OrgCom and Business Management graduate of La Salle and he now works for our own company. He was asked to help out there without a definite position. Almost 1 year in the company, he have already built a website for the company, made a mission vision, identity manual, operations manual, etc... His next project will be building a training program for employees. These are mostly OrgCom stuff. These are things that commonly entrepreneurs failed to have and recognize. He said we learn these are important in our management classes, but what we failed to recognize, is the person who does these things for us. That is why an orgcom practioner is important because he will be able to do a lot of these things for you. That is another reason why I'm in orgcom, because my Mother sees the importance of it, the same way as my younger sister will be taking up Orgcom next year.

You can be part of many functions in a business organization, you can be part of HR where you handle giving out messages internally, making training videos, etc.... Under marketing, you can be part of the PR team, building the company's image, selling the product. Part of the Operations, where you will handle the flow of information. But technically, an orgcom practitioner should have its own function and team within the organization. There are a lot of things you can do.

Right now, there is still a few organization who recognizes orgcom practitioners, but hopefully as the world becomes more complex, OrgCom will be a must for every organization.

1 comment:

Aileen Apolo-de Jesus said...

I predict, in the future you will establish the OrgComm association for the Philippines :D